The New Year 2015 is here with a bang, and we thought we should start with something that has come into the world of flashlights with a feature that is modern, relevant, and strikes a chord with the present – USB flashlights.
When we say USB flashlights, we mean USB rechargeable flashlights – so you can use a AC adaptor similar to your mobile phone chargers, or charge it using your laptop/desktop PC, or even charge using a portable power bank if you are on the go. The last option is a boon for many flashlight enthusiasts who often tend to be people who find themselves deep in places where easy access to electrical power is not possible.
We are working on an article exclusively aimed at good and reasonable power banks for use in charging USB flashlights, and will soon upload the same. In the meantime, through this article, let us get to know about three among the many USB flashlights available at this point of time. THIS LIST IS NOT A COMPARISON. This articles lists out different flashlights with varying form and features, that are USB rechargeable flashlights. Do let us know through the comments section below, if you would like us to mention/add your favorite USB flashlights.
This list is alphabetical at this point, and doesn’t have any other attribute in the arrangement or listing order at this point. Why don’t you tell us in the comments section below whether you own any of them, and tell us how you like them, and maybe we can rank them up later. Detailed reviews also follow soon.
- Nitecore MH25
- Now, this is a beast of a flashlight, offering a multitude of power options, possible to charge using USB micro-USB cable, and offering the best output and run-time among all the listed flashlights below, but remember, this list is not a comparison. It offers two choices of battery types, charging methods, etc. Did somebody say IP-X* on this beauty, and yes that’s a thing with waterproofing upto 2m, and resists mild impacts as well.
- LED – CREE XM-L2 T6
- Relfector – SMO
- Beam throw distance – 310 m
- Output – 960 Lumens
- Intensity – 24000 candela
- Size – 160 (L) mm x 40 mm (D) – (6.3 in x 1.57 in)
- Runtime – 22-28 hrs @ 44 lumens (1.5 hrs @ 960 lumens)
- Charging time – Depends on battery.
- Weight – 145 g (5.11 ounces)
- Material – Aerospace grade aluminum alloy. HAIII MIL-grade hard anodization
- MecArmy SGN3
- The MecArmy SGN 3 is a keychain flashlight as well, and a very small one at that. We like this one a lot. It’s small, it’s practical, It may not replace a proper full-fledged flashlight, but it still runs for 6 hours on a full charge that requires just 1.5 hrs, and gives a reasonable throw with its SMO reflector. Compared to typical keychain flashlights, including its bigger brother, the MecArmy illumine-X, this looks less of a flashlight, and more of a USB pen drive.
- LED – CREE XP-G2 main LED, and 2 x 3 mm side LEDs
- Relfector – SMO
- Beam throw distance – 40 m
- Output – 160 Lumens max.
- Intensity – 470 candela max.
- Size – 59 mm (L) x 10 mm (B) x 23 mm (W) – (2.323 in x 0.394 in x 0.906 in)
- Runtime – 6 hrs max.
- Charging time – 1.5 hrs
- Weight – 38 g (1.34 ounces)
- Material – Die cast alloy (not clear on which alloy, possibly Aluminium)
- Streamlight Stylus Pro USB
- Now, this is a proper flashlight, and looks and feels like one. It’s bigger and heavier than the SGN3, but it packs in a lot of features including IPX4 protection, a removable pocket clip, and nylon holster
- LED – C4 (white)
- Relfector – SMO
- Beam throw distance – 50 m
- Output – 70 Lumens max.
- Intensity – 630 candela max.
- Size – 156 (L) mm x 19 mm (D) – (6.15 in x 0.74 in)
- Runtime – 3.5 hrs max.
- Charging time – 2.5 hrs
- Weight – 53.8 g (1.9 ounces)
- Material – Machined aluminum alloy case. Type II MIL-Spec anodized finish
We will be adding more USB rechargeable flashlights to this list with details, and then separate full reviews articles with video reviews soon. Please do let us know about your favorite USB rechargeable flashlights through the comments section below, or by emailing us at admin (at) millioncandlepower (dot) com.